Please read the article below and answer the questions that follow. As always, be sure to highlight and look up any unfamiliar vocabulary, and come to class on Wednesday, 11-16 prepared to discuss what you have read. Additionally, please listen to the This American Life Episode 560: Abdi and the Golden Ticket and come to class prepared to discuss what you have learned.
1. According to Dan Gilbert, what is Synthetic Happiness? What is the Psychological Immune System?
2. Summarize the Main Idea of the article on meaning in one paragraph, one sentence, three words. What is the article saying or Inferring about happiness? How does the article relate to what Dan Gilbert’s TED Talk on happiness? In other words, Summarize what Dan Gilbert is trying to prove.
3. What is the article saying or Inferring about happiness? How does the article relate to what Dan Gilbert’s TED Talk on happiness?
4. What is the Main Idea of Abdi’s Story? What gives his life meaning? Do you think that his ability to Synthesize Happiness helped him to stay strong? Give specific examples from his story to support your answer. Could you stay that strong?
5. What gives your life meaning? Give very thoughtful consideration to this question, as it is one of the most important questions you can ask yourself. Enjoy basking in the warmth your answer will provide you… If it helps, consider the following quote by Friedrich Nietzsche:
“Let the young soul look back at his life with a question: ‘What have you, up to now, truly loved? What has dominated your soul while simultaneously making it happy…”
Use this as your guide is you like… Enjoy…