legal amp ethical scenarios
Select two of the three scenarios. Support your responses with appropriate cases, laws and other relevant examples by using at least one scholarly source from the SUO Library in addition to your textbook for each scenario. Do not copy the scenario text into the paper. Label the beginning of each scenario with the number you selected (e.g., Scenario 1). Cite your sources in APA format on a separate page.
Scenario 1 – Courts
- Research the court system of YOUR state (Georgia). Present a brief overview of the court system by identifying the courts and the types of cases they preside over. Explain which court hears the following types of cases.
- Food poisoning at a locally owned restaurant
Scenario 2: Constitution
Fat Cat Brewery (FCB) sells beer containing labels displaying a cat making a rude gesture with the middle finger. FCBâ€™s distributor, Robillio Distillery, applied to the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) for approval of the label, which was required before the beer could be sold in Tennessee. The TABC rejected the application because children might see the labels in stores. FCB filed a lawsuit in federal district court against the TACB, asking for, among other things, an injunction against the denial.
- Was the TABCâ€™s ruling that prohibited the gesture on the beer labels an unconstitutional restriction commercial speech?
- If Fat Cat Brewery had applied to use the offensive label to market toys instead of beer, would the courtâ€™s ruling likely have been the same? Why or why not?
Scenario 3: Constitution
Vicki accepted a management position at Dunavant Enterprises, a distribution center for construction machinery parts. When arriving for work on the first day, Vicki noticed a sign that states weapons, including handguns, are not permitted anywhere on the employerâ€™s premises. While completing her new hire paperwork, Vicki sees the same information about weapons being banned from company property in the employee handbook. The employee handbook informs employees that the company reserves the right to search persons, vehicles, and other property. Vicki has a permit to carry a handgun and it is currently locked in her vehicle in the parking lot. Vicki signed the acceptance of the terms of the handbook; however, she had no intention of leaving her gun at home.
Three weeks later, briefcases, purses, and vehicles were randomly searched by Dunavantâ€™s Security Department. When the officers found the loaded gun under the seat of Vickiâ€™s car, she was terminated.
Use the South University Online Library or the Internet to find a statute in your state (Georgia) that references guns in the workplace. Consider combining terms (statute, guns, work) in your search.
Note: If you cannot find a statute for your state (Georgia), you may use one from another state.
Based on your research and the scenario, provide answers to the following questions.
- Identify the statute and provide a brief summary of it.
- Did the company violate Vickiâ€™s Second Amendment rights? Why or why not?
- Did Dunavantâ€™s prohibition on weapons violate the state statute you selected?
- What advice would you provide to the company and Vicki?
- Submit your paper in Microsoft Word, using APA style, cite references