Many of our readings and videos this week discussed the concept of racial discrimination and racism. Consider our readings and your personal experiences. How does race bias impact the workplace? Choose one management system and explain how it can limit or potentially eliminate this type of discrimination.
Readings and Resources
Articles, Websites, and Videos:
This article discusses an important concept surrounding women in the work place â€“ â€œthe glass ceilingâ€. This article will highlight why women are well suited to assume managerial positions in todayâ€™s workplace.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Shatter the Glass Ceiling; Women may make better managers; Human Resource Management, 33(4), 549-560. https://postu.idm.oclc.org/login?auth=prodbb&url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=12494904&site=eds-live&scope=site
This article discusses gender and racial bias in the workplace. You will be introduced to the issues, and provided strategies for minimizing these behaviors in your organizations.
- Bielby, W. T. (2000). Minimizing workplace gender and racial bias. Contemporary Sociology, 120-129.
This article discusses the exactly what constitutes discrimination and highlights its impact on the workplace today.
- Heilman, M. E., & Eagly, A. H. (2008). Gender stereotypes are alive, well, and busy producing workplace discrimination. Industrial & Organizational Psychology, 1(4), 393-398. https://postu.idm.oclc.org/login?auth=prodbb&url=https://postu.idm.oclc.org/login?auth=prodbb&url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edb&AN=35323801&site=eds-live&scope=site
This essay advocates for more laws to protect against marital status discrimination. You will learn more about political developments, demographic changes, evidence of discrimination, and changes in laws and policies.
- Joslin, C. G. (2015). Marital status discrimination 2.0. Boston University Law Review, 95(3), 805-831.
This powerful article shows us how racial discrimination has changed throughout the years. Furthermore, you will be provided supporting statistics and examples.
- Brief, A. P., Buttram, R. T., Reizenstein, R. M., Pugh, S. D., Callahan, J. D., McCline, R. L., & Vaslow, J. B. (1997). https://postu.idm.oclc.org/login?auth=prodbb&url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=heh&AN=9712024839&site=eds-live&scope=site . The Academy of Management Executive (1993-2005), 59-72.
| Watch Video Obama: Workplace discrimination “still taking place”
User: CBS This Morning – Added: 6/23/14
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0qiTHd7Jg
Watch Video Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone â€” Men Included | Michael Kimmel | TED Talks
|President Obama talks about workplace discrimination, as it relates to women and working families.||
Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone â€” Men Included Michael Kimmel
This video looks at the issue of “privilege” as it pertains to the gender differences and examines the benefits of bringing about a more equal and fair playing field among men and women.
Watch Video Marital Status Discrimination
User: ilikelaffytaffy19 – Added: 11/9/14
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oyix0KMBP8
Watch Video Race, Racism, Prejudice and Discrimination – What are they?
User: iheedinstitute – Added: 2/27/14
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0f5WyAoGU
|This video focuses how marital status discrimination is defined and provides actual case study examples.||This video will provide you a clear definition of exactly what racial discrimination is and how it applies to the workplace.|
Watch Video Recognizing Racial Stereotypes in the Workplace
User: n/a – Added: 11/16/07
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpM0CNHqVs
|This video is a great conversation regarding racial stereotypes, and how they impact perceptions in job interviews and job performance.|